Friday, July 20, 2012

Filipino Friday: Hello from me!

Oh look, it's the return of Filipino Friday! The 2012 Filipino Readercon is coming up, and I'm delighted to join bloggers devoting time to talk about books by Filipinos and other lit topics near and dear to readers' hearts.

And now to introduce myself. My name is Mina, and I'm totally failing at my reading list this year. It's July and I've finished (only) a dozen books, and it doesn't look like my sked will free up anytime soon so I can read more. When I do have time to read, I usually pick up contemporary romances, fantasy, something that won a Booker, something South Asian, or a classic that I never got to read. What I never really choose? Westerns.

One of my favorite recent reads, though, was True Grit.


Picked this up because I enjoyed the movie, and I could hear my husband laughing as he read it. Not only did I enjoy this, I laughed out loud too. I think the last time that happened to me was when I read ZsaZsa Zaturnnah.

So I guess the lesson is, I shouldn't dismiss an entire genre outright. Or maybe I'm a Western kind of girl after all.




2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the movie. I need a laugh ..I'll have to put this book on my "on deck" reading list. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you try it, Jinky! Not expecting it to be that funny though. :)

      Delete