Monday, May 3, 2010

My Imaginary Ex 1.0

From @leemejia08
@minavesguerra hi! it'll be lovely if u cud post a story in ur blog abt how u planned 2 start writing 'Ex' til it was published! :D ♥

First of all, I apologize for getting back to you more than a month late. I didn't see your tweet until today. I fail at Twitter! But here I am with a post to make it up to you.

What is now My Imaginary Ex started as a short story I wrote in college. It was about a girl being confronted by another girl who was just so threatened by her, for no real reason. Back then I was experimenting with writing in a very restrained way, so I didn't explain why Girl B was threatened, and I don't think my friends who read it understood what the backstory was until I told them.

So yeah, I didn't do that so well. It's always been on the back of my mind though, wondering how I could tell that story better and when. I got the chance to when Summit Books started publishing chick lit again. I wrote an outline for the plot points, filled in the gaps, and had a draft ready in about a month. And then I was told that they wanted to publish it. And then I signed a contract, and within a few months it was on the bookstore shelves.

OK, so it's not that exciting. But I hope it answered your question. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment